Lengua Estofada - Ox Tongue
Lengua Estofada is usually served for fiesta or celebrations not only because it is bit costly rather i takes time to clean it thoroughly, to rid it of excess muscles and to tenderize it.
- 2 1/2 lb. ox tongue
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 gloves garlic, crushed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 sm. can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup whole mushrooms
- 1/2 cup pitted olives
- Boil water and put ox tongue. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Scrape off the white stuff and rinse.
- Dip tongue in flour and brown in olive oil. Set aside.
- In the remaining oil, saute garlic, onions, and the rest of the ingredients except mushrooms and olives.
- Add tongue and simmer until tender. Slice tongue into individual portions.
- Thicken sauce with 2 tbsp. flour.
- Add the mushrooms and olives.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over the sliced tongue.